Friday, July 29, 2011

Sonic Ping

Sonic Ping by Orlando Stephenson is a lightweight thriller. I read it in one sitting. There are a lot of topics touched on but at 260 pages, there is no time to go into any depth. I liked the book and if you're a thriller fan I suggest you give Sonic Ping a try.

Millionaire Daryl Morgan wants to save the world. I think. I know he wants to do his white knight routine for any female he wants to have sex with. I'm just not sure he'd go too much out of his way to help anyone else. Sure, if he sees a bunch of bullies beating on someone he'll jump in. But would he go out of his way? I don't know. If you get the feeling I don't like Daryl you are right. He's got the morals of an alley cat. If a female character behaved in the same manner she'd be dismissed as a slut.

When Maddie, the widow of a friend, calls in the middle of the night Daryl leaves his wife to hurry over. Maddie's niece, Jennifer, has been kidnapped. The kidnappers say her late husband, Brad, owes them two million dollars and they want it. The minute Maddie throws herself into Daryl's arms he starts thinking about screwing her.

The next day he goes to his friend Roger for help. Roger is a NinjaNerd. Martial arts/special forces training and mad computer skills. What Daryl doesn't know is he's also Jennifer's boyfriend. They get Jennifer back fairly quickly but the kidnappers don't give up. Before you can say Dan Brown, Daryl's wife is dead and Maddie's been sold into slavery. And they still don't know why. The rest of the book follows Daryl and Roger as they try to find Maddie and figure out why people are getting killed and kidnapped.

Sonic Ping is a fun read. There are a few cliches. A huge bodyguard named Tiny for example. And, for the life of me, I don't know why Daryl even exists. He does nothing in this book that couldn't be rewritten to have Roger doing it. Like I said before, I don't like him.